How to make money with a blog is as easy as seven steps. Although you can launch a blog within a day, it will take three to six months for your blog to gain traction on Google and become profitable. These steps can help you accelerate the success of your blog.
To start a blog that makes money, you only need to follow seven steps:
1. 1. Decide what type of blog you want to start
First, decide what topic you want to blog about. Perhaps you already know what your blog will be about. You need to be aware of the basics to make sure you choose a niche with real earnings potential.
You need to narrow down a niche you are able to serve well. This will allow you to significantly reduce your competition. It is better to provide content that caters to your specific needs than a generalized piece of content at any given time. Nerdfitness, for example, was a blog that became very popular quickly despite the fact that there were many fitness blogs. It appealed to nerds who wanted to be fit.
— Ted Chong, Blogger, Digital Senior
Types of blogs
There are many different types of blogs that you can create and each one appeals to a specific niche audience. A blog where you are already proficient in the topic or have deep knowledge and experience is the best.
These are some of the most popular blogs:
- Food blogs If you are passionate about cooking and creating new recipes, you might consider starting a food blog. This niche is very popular on the internet.
- Wellness and health blogs: If your passion is for fitness and health, you might want to start a blog about it.
- Business blogs These blogs are focused on a specific set of business interests and needs, such as leadership or entrepreneurship.
- Start a Travel Blog if you are passionate about adventure and travel.
- Lifestyle blogs A popular niche in blogging, lifestyle blogs discuss a set of lifestyle choices, interests and unique tastes from the blogger’s perspective.
- Craft blogs If you find the idea of sharing your craft knowledge appealing and there is a large demand for DIY craft ideas, then you might consider starting a blog.
- Finance blogs: These blogs discuss how to save money, invest your money, live within a budget, as well as other topics related to personal and business finances.
- Blogs about sports: If your passion is for the game of football, you might want to create a blog about it.
- Mommy blogs These blogs are focused on parenting, homemaking and personal challenges that mothers face.
- Entertainment blogs You may blog about movies, television and music as well as theater and celebrities.
- Beauty and fashion blogs: These blogs usually discuss fashion trends, hair, makeup, and other beauty products.
- Hobby blogs You have the option to blog about any hobby you choose, including model trains and gardening.
It is entirely up to you what type of blog you want. You can make money blogging by choosing a niche you are comfortable with.
Lifestyle blogger Joanna Goddard talks about a variety of topics on her popular blog
Because people are searching for these topics most often, you want to write about them. This will help your blog get more traffic. If people don’t find you blog, you won’t make any money.
It is important to research keywords if you want your blog posts to rank on the first page in search engine results. You can also research keywords to find out how competitive the terms you are targeting.
Google’s Keyword Planner is the best tool to do keyword research. Although it is simple to use, you will need to create a Google AdWords Account to access the Keyword Planner tool.
Blog posts that are focused on high traffic terms and low competition terms can improve the likelihood of your posts ranking highly in Google’s search results. is our guide to the best ways to rank highly on Google.
Google’s Keyword Planner helps you discover volume and competition levels for keywords
2. How to make money with your blog
Affiliate marketing is one of the most successful ways to make money blogging. You can add advertisements to your website, sell products or services, or get paid sponsorships to promote your blog posts.
You don’t have to sell anything on your blog if you are not selling products or services. If you want to monetize your blog in six months, however, you should have something to sell within six months.
Bloggers don’t necessarily need to have a product to market in the beginning. However, it is a good idea to have a product or service you can launch within six months to avoid making a hobby out of blogging. From the beginning, a clear revenue stream is essential. It is very competitive in the blogging world so it is important to do your homework early on to ensure that you are successful.
You can read our popular article How bloggers make to learn more about how you can generate income blogging. These ideas will help you get started with your money-making blogging endeavors.
3. Choose Your Blogging Platform
There are two main types of blog platforms. You can have your blog hosted on a different website. Although this is often free, there are significant restrictions in blog design, monetization and visibility in search engines. You can also create a self-hosted website with a content management software (CMS), and a hosting company for as low as $2.95 using BlueHost. The best way to make money online is to create your own blog.
Create Your Blog on another Website
Many free blogging platforms are available, including WordPress.com and Blogger. These websites connect you to other bloggers.
Hosting your blog on another site has its downsides.
- No custom domain: Since you don’t get your own custom domain name (ex: yourbusiness.com vs yourwebsite.wordpress.com). This could lower your authority as an authoritative blogger.
- Monetization issues: Your blog won’t be fully monetized. There are strict guidelines for making money on free blogging sites.
- You have limited control. You don’t have complete control over your website. Your personal blog will also disappear if the website hosting it is shut down.
- Lower search rankings: SEO may not be as easy to control, which can negatively affect your page rankings on Google.
- Design limitations for blogs: These sites have design and HTMLcoding restrictions. You won’t be in a position to design your blog exactly the way you want it to look.
If you’re not serious about building a blog, or just want to have fun sharing your thoughts and experiences with others, then consider creating a blog on another website. You can open a blog account free of charge on WordPress.com. This site also has many upgrade options that will help you grow your blog.
The WordPress.com dashboard lets you customize the look of your blog
Create Your Own Blog
Self-hosted blogs offer great flexibility in site design and monetization. A self-hosted blog is the best way to make money from your blog. Remember that every company needs a website. A blog should be part of your business plan.
These are the most popular self-hosted blogging sites:
- Bluehost and WordPress: WordPress has become the most widely used blogging platform. Bluehost is a low-cost option for hosting a WordPress site. It costs only $2.95 per monthly. Bluehost is quick and easy to set up your blog.
- Squarespace is an all-in one website platform that includes hosting. Squarespace’s easy-to use website-building interface makes it possible to create beautiful blogs. Prices start at $12 per month.
- Wix This all-in-one website creator is well-known for making it easy to create a blog. Wix sites can be started for just $13 per month. Compare Wix and WordPress .
- DreamHost and WordPress: DreamHost is another hosting provider you can use with WordPress. Plans start at $2.59 per month and don’t require a year commitment.
You can also consider other blogging platforms. These options will help you get your blog up and running quickly.
You will need to choose a domain if you decide to host your own blog. Bluehost offers a free domain during the first year of hosting.
Your hosting vendor can also sell your domain separately at sites such as Namecheap and Hover, where the average annual domain cost is $8 to $15. Domain renewal rates tend to be lower with domain-registration sites than with hosting providers.
These are the essential elements of a domain name:
- Description for your blog: People will be able to identify what you’re writing about by simply looking at the name of your site. minimalistbaker.com, for example, is a food blog that features recipes with less than 10 ingredients.
- Keywords You want people searching Google for information related to your expertise to find your blog. People who search on Google will see your primary keyword in the domain.
- A domain that is easy to spell and pronounce If your website is difficult to spell or pronounce, it will make it more difficult for people to remember. When choosing your domain, be clear and use standard spellings.
It may take some time to find a domain name with millions of blogs online. You have a better chance of acquiring the domain name you desire if your blog name is unique.
You should immediately purchase a domain that you find. Domain registration websites are well-known for monitoring domain search queries and increasing the price for those that were not purchased.
After you have completed steps 1 through 4, it is time to design your blog. This will depend on which platform you use. Squarespace and Wix offer standard themes that you can customize your website.
You will need to install WordPress if you decide to use a WordPress website. Bluehost makes it easy. Navigate to the BlueHost dashboard and scroll down to the website section. Click “Install WordPress” to follow the instructions.
Bluehost makes it easy to install WordPress from its dashboard
Personalize your blog with design and personalization
You can choose from the many templates available through SquareSpace and Wix. These templates take care of key design elements for you so you don’t need to be a designer to launch your blog.
Because of its stunning modern templates, Squarespace is a popular choice for bloggers. Squarespace is an excellent choice for bloggers with minimal design skills who want to create a beautiful blog. SquareSpace has 21 templates families, which means that there are 92 designs available. This is a list of top free Squarespace templates.
When creating a blog on SquareSpace, simply choose a template and start designing your blog
The Wix ADI will assist you in designing a website based on the answers to a few questions. Wix also offers a variety of templates. Wix offers more than 300 templates. Be careful, however, because you can’t change templates once your blog is live.
Wix is one of the most user-friendly blog platforms. Wix is a great platform for people with little technical knowledge.
Wix offers more than 300 different blog templates
You will need to choose a theme to your website if you opt for a WordPress blog hosted on your own server (WordPress.org). This is the best option for bloggers looking to make a profit. A WordPress theme is a template or design framework that allows you to customize your website. There are many WordPress themes, many of them free. Premium themes offer more design options and flexibility than free themes.
Bluehost allows you to access a variety of premium and free themes when you host your blog. It’s quick and easy to install and you don’t have to stick with one theme. You can also change your theme at any time.
Example of a responsive WordPress theme available through Bluehost
Divi is a premium theme that offers more customization options to your blog’s design. It comes from Elegant Themes. Divi is not only a theme but also offers a page builder that’s easier than WordPress’s default post editor. Divi’s page-builder tool makes it easy to create beautiful pages that are customized. This is why Divi is so popular among non-technical bloggers. Divi is $89/year for annual access.
You can also hire a web developer or designer to design your blog. Fiverr makes it easy to find the right freelancer to help build your blog. Fiverr freelancers can be found for almost any budget.
Example of a website design freelancer on Fiverr
6. Develop Blog Content
After your website is built, you can start to add content to your blog. This is the most important step in starting a blog. Content marketing allows you to give your audience something valuable, build trust and convert customers into readers.
Types of blog posts
To engage your readers and make money, there are many types of blog posts that you can add to your site. For maximum appeal to new and returning visitors, the most successful bloggers mix their content.
These are some popular formats for blog posts that you can add to your site.
- How to posts: Show people how to do something. These are the most common how-to posts.
- Expert roundup post: Get input from experts on a particular topic or about a particular theme. Post all the expert responses in one post and add your own perspective.
- Reviews:Choose one product or service to review and provide an objective assessment. Compare features, options, price, etc. Next, tell blog readers whether you recommend the product or service and why.
- Success stories: Everyone enjoys a success story. Please share a story about a successful experience and the factors that led to it. This is a great way for blog readers to be inspired.
- Interview postsInterview other people on a topic that interests you. Interview experts in your field, or anyone who has an opinion about what you are writing and wants to share their views.
You’ll quickly discover which posts are most popular and which convert visitors into buyers by experimenting with different types. Take what you have learned and use it to improve your posts.
Example of a roundup post on Fit Small Business
Other types of blog content
Your blog will not only contain blog posts. A page about you, strong calls for action (CTAs), as well as some lead magnets-based email capture devices will be important. You may need to add more content depending on what type of blog you have. The best blogging tips are not just about content creation.
Your “About Me Page”
Your blog needs a strong About Me page (or About Us). Your About page will likely be the most popular on your site. Make sure to include compelling content to show visitors why they should stay on your blog.
Your About Me page is likely to be the most popular on your website. You want it to greet your visitors and confirm that they have found the right blog. Keep it conversational and original. Your visitors should know why you created your blog and what it can do for them. Give your visitors a glimpse into your past and experiences to increase your credibility.
Strong CTAs should be included in all of your pages and blog posts. CTAs tell your visitors what they should do next. You might send your visitors to a “pillar” post. This is a post that best describes the purpose of your blog.
A second step you might want site visitors to take is downloading a resource or tool you offer. These resources and tools are known as lead magnets and can be a great way to build your email list.
It doesn’t suffice to bring new visitors to your website. You need to retain them once they are there. Although email marketing is a great method, you must have an email list in order to effectively do so.
Bluehost offers a free business email account. You will need to set this up. This is an important step, since getting an email from [email protected] will look more professional than getting an email from [email protected].
Here are some ways to get email addresses from your business once you have it set up.
- Create an electronic book or PDF: Make an ebook or a PDF that contains information not found on your website. Before sharing the information and resources, ask people to enter their email address.
- Send out a weekly newsletter to people. To get people to sign up for your newsletter, you can either have a pop-up on your site or a box at your top asking them to subscribe to your weekly tips.
You are motivating people to visit your site by sending them regular emails about the latest updates on your blog.
Example of an email capture form featuring a lead magnet from the Minimalist Baker blog
Other site content
Your site’s other content will contain any additional information you wish your visitors to see. Images and links to products or services that you wish to promote, ads, and affiliate promotions are all examples. You can also include videos, infographics, links to related social media channels, testimonials and other content. It is a good idea to have content that helps site visitors and leads to sales.
“The best advice that I can give new bloggers is consistency, consistent, consistency. As a blogger, I’ve seen bloggers who desire immediate results. After posting several blogs, but not reaching a million views, many bloggers quit. You can set a posting schedule, plan your strategy, and then batch your content. Share it with everyone, more than anything, and keep going!
— Bri Seeley, Entrepreneur Coach
7. Get more traffic to your blog
In Step 6, we mentioned that creating an email list can be a great way of generating high-quality traffic to your blog. A great way to make money is to learn search engine optimization (SEO), and then implement SEO strategies on your site.
SEO strategies can be used to optimize your blog so search engines like Google recognize your pages and rank them high in search engine results. Your blog will get more traffic if you rank higher on Google’s search engine pages rankings.
Yoast SEO, a powerful plugin for WordPress that integrates with your site, is highly recommended by top bloggers. Yoast offers both a premium and free option.
A popular way to increase blog traffic is to post on social media, directing people to your blog. Facebook and Twitter are the top platforms for driving blog traffic.
Make sure you are targeting the right visitors to your blog with all traffic-generating methods . This means that you are only attracting people who are interested and qualified to use them. A website that attracts traffic to your blog from people not interested in it will increase its bounce rate. This is the number of visitors who leave your site immediately after they have finished reading. Google page rankings suffer from high bounce rates.
How to start a blog Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).
What is the cost of starting a blog?
You can start blogging free of charge on many sites like Medium and WordPress.com. Self-hosted websites are popular for people who want to make money with their blogs. With Bluehost, you can create a self-hosted website for as low as $2.95 per month.
How can you make money from a blog?
Sites like Squarespace and Wix are great options for starting a blog. Affiliate marketing, selling products and creating sponsored posts are some of the most popular ways to make a living blogging. You can make the most of your blog by choosing a profitable niche that has enough demand over time.
How much money do bloggers make?
Bloggers make an average of $100 per month, but this is only because they don’t have sites that are optimized for making money. Smart blog monetization strategies can help even new bloggers earn between $500 and $3,000 per month. Bloggers who are successful earn anywhere from $10,000 to six figures per month. Some blogging statistics indicate that marketers who concentrate on blogging are 13x more likely to see positive returns on their investment (ROI).
Can I create a blog without paying anything?
WordPress.com Medium, Blogger, Wix, and Wix are the top places to start a blog for free. Although you can create a blog without paying for hosting, the best bloggers make their sites through WordPress.org or DreamHost.
A blog can be a great way for you to share your passions with other people who are interested in the same topic. If you are passionate about the topic, your blog could become more than a hobby. It can even be a source of income.
►►► ConnectPOS is a cloud-based POS software compatible with multiple platforms including Magento, Shopify & Shopify Plus, and BigCommerce.
►►► See our products: Magento Point of sale, Shopify Point of sale, BigCommerce Point of sale , Woocommerce point of sale, Multi source inventory management, Commercetools POS, Magento 2 POS, Netsuite point of sale and START A FREE TRIAL NOW !