Security specialists register over 450 000 new malicious each day. The rapid advancement in malware and software platforms could lead to situations where even the best scanners may miss some infections.
Magento offers an online malware scanner Adobe Security Scan for free. This scan monitors for up 9000 threats and is among the best in its category. A second opinion scanner is a great way to increase the security of your store. This provides a second line defense for your store.
A secondary scanner can also provide additional information about the security of your store. Your store might be free from malware, but still be listed on spam or search engine blacklists.
Due to the expiration date for Magento 1, Magento 1 store owners should use additional security scanners regularly.
What makes a second opinion scanner so beneficial?
A software solution cannot detect all malware threats. Even the most advanced scanners can detect malware threats at up to 96.3% online.
This is easily shown with VirusTotal – a service which allows you to check URLs and files for malware using multiple antimalware tools at once.
The detection rate drops drastically when the exact malware sample embedded in a website.
This is a common false detection scenario. A malicious website installed with a graphic of the Magento logo was found to be malware.
It’s becoming clear that one malware scanner is not enough. Therefore, it’s a good practice to have another assessment malware scanner for your website. It is a good idea to keep it running so you can identify any malware that your current protection solution might have missed.
Sucuri is a trusted provider of security services on sites across different platforms including Magento. It provides customers with cloud-based tools to complete site security overhauls. This includes execution improvement with a CDN, mitigation of cyberassaults via software exploits, DDoS, and other basic tools.
Magento store owners have the opportunity to receive a free malware scanner and security check tool. It offers several important checks:
- Malware and infection. This allows you to identify malicious code and tainted files by inspecting the Magento site source code.
- Check the Magento blacklist status. Sites infected with malware are added to blacklists. These lists are maintained by security teams at Google Safe Browsing and McAfee as well as McAfee, McAfee and ESET. Opera and other list providers also maintain them. Even after the malware has been removed, a site can still be blacklisted. Blacklisting can have a negative effect on SEO and organic store traffic.
- Be wary of out-of-date software components. Magento updates are regularly released. It is the responsibility of the site owner to keep track and install them. You can identify if your Magento site uses an outdated version of CMS/modules.
- Magento security problems can be distinguished. Verify that your Magento site is free from security problems and misconfigurations.
Sucuri identifies potential dangers by analyzing the site’s scan results. The site owner is not left with a list of vulnerabilities, but Sucuri provides concrete suggestions for mitigation. It’s an easy-to use tool that provides a second opinion about a site’s security.
This developer offers Unmask Parasites service that can enhance Sucuri SiteCheck results. This tool helps you find illegal content hidden within website pages. This could include hidden spam links.
Site Security Scan by Foregenix
Foregenix Website Safety Scan another site-checking tool, which does not require additional software or access to private files. This tool scans for vulnerabilities in publicly accessible data on websites. It checks sites for security vulnerabilities and provides a total risk score. This gives a quick overview of site security.
This tool currently serves more than 300,000 Magento merchants worldwide. WebScan searches:
- Website malware, including card skimmers, is embedded in the site.
- Analyse and updates of the Magento platform
- SSL Issues can be checked.
MageReport , one of the most popular online scanners for Magento, is MageReport . The free version scans for security vulnerabilities.
Here is a list of vulnerabilities that have been identified:
- Installed Magento security patches This allows you to check if your Magento store has installed the most recent Adobe patch.
- Exposure to the admin panel, and Magento API.
- Web forms vulnerabilities that allow remote code execution (RCE).
- Visbot Magento malware. It is a Magento-specific skimming malware. It is a skimming malware that can be installed on a compromised server and captures visitor data. This happens by intercepting POST requests to it.
- Brute force and ransomware attack
MageReport does more than just check the Magento core for vulnerabilities. It also analyses popular third-party extensions.
MageReport gives detailed information about how to fix weaknesses and who to call for assistance. The tool will show general information about the store if it is protected against a particular vulnerability.
Quttera scans websites for malicious scripts and files. It was also designed to detect malware hiding on websites and in legitimate content.
A detailed threat breakdown will be provided for each page in the malware assessment. A detailed report will be provided on:
- List of external links, blacklisted and all.
- Blacklisted and malicious iframes
- Blacklisted links are also included in the list of domains/hosts that have been referenced.
This tool is distinguished by its informative output. It clearly explains why certain records were deemed threatening.
SiteGaurding a free malware scanner is ideal for checking for sites that are on spam and global blacklists. It includes a list of several dozen blacklist providers.
SiteGaurding’s free report does not provide details about the malware names or locations that were found on your server.
Additional security tools
You can also use online scanners if you don’t need a complete scan of Magento.
Local Mage Scan is a good option for intranet and dev sites that don’t have access to online site scanners. This tool is required to be installed on your server in order to scan Magento for vulnerabilities.
Google Safe Browsing
Google Safe Browsing helps you identify malware and suspicious links on websites.
This tool can be used as the first one if you notice a drop in organic visitors. This is because web-browsers can use data from Google Safe Browsing to block access to the site and display the alert message to visitors. To continue loading the site, which has been marked as unsafe by this tool, the visitor must explicitly click a button.
Astra Magento Malware Scanner
If you are looking for maximum simplicity, the Magento Malware Scanning tool by Astra is what you need.
The report includes more than 60 blacklists, over 140 security tests and SEO spam. While other online scanners may fill out reports with irrelevant data, such as the IP address of the server or the country it is located, the Astra scanner simply answers that the server is clean.
Remote online scanners cannot detect all malware as they only work with files your Magento store makes public. All the scanners are free and offer very basic functionality. But, regular security checks using this tool can help increase your website’s protection.
These scanners give site owners an extra level of protection against malware, platform weaknesses, or other security threats that could harm your server.
These online scanners can be used in conjunction with the Security Scan tool, which was specifically designed by Adobe for Magento. It’s also free. You can also read the step by-step guide to learn how to use it.